Thursday, September 29, 2016

Gnarly and The Ghost Free Pattern



Gnarly and the Ghosts
39” x 39”
Designed by Heidi Pridemore

 Halloween is around the corner and it is time to break out the Spooky Décor. We are also so excited to share my Husband, Matthew’s newest fabric collection, Booooville from Benartex. The collection features a panel with Gnarly the tree getting ready to go trick or treating with his ghost friends. So this month I used my GO! Qube Mix & Match 6” Block Set  and my new GO! Qube 6” Companion set to create a sweet and spooky wall hanging using part of the panel for the center and the corners. I used all the new dies from the Companion set to create whimsical borders to go around the tree. This left eight extra ghost panels so I used an assortment of dies to and fabrics to create a matching set of four place mats.


The pattern for this month’s project is free from The Whimsical Workshop. You can download the free pattern at www.TheWhimsicalWorkshop.com along with our past free patterns. We have also included traditional cutting instructions for this project in the pattern too.

Here are all the dies I used for this project. The New GO! Qube 6” Companion set includes a Drunkard Path block, Signature Block and Chisel Block dies. I want to feature each of these new shapes in the wall hanging so I used them to create the borders for the quilt.

For Border One, I used the Drunkard Path Blocks. To create a “dot” border with the lime webbing fabric and black webbing fabric.

Next up, I used the Signature Block along with the half square triangle die from the GO! Qube Mix and Match 6” set to make the second Zig Zag border. Make sure to follow the pattern to cut the directional spider silk stripe fabric for this border. I again used the black webbing to blend into the first border.


                                                  
For the final border I used the Chisel Die along with the half-square triangle die from the GO! Qube Mix and Match 6” set. I switched to Gray Webbing fabric for these unit so they blended into the whimsical Spooky Trees print that became the outer border. The Chisel units are made from Orange Webbing and White Words print. Make sure to refer to our pattern for cutting these units.
I found the white words print which is directional in both cut and print the most challenging to cut so I want to share with you an image of what it looks like when cutting. You will need to die cut each chisel from this fabric individually with the print of the fabric facing down and the words going across the width of the strip as shown here.

For the Placemats, I kept them simple to make using squares and half-square triangles. Now I am ready for Halloween with my new Halloween wall hanging and matching place mats. I hope you enjoy this project as much as I did. As always I would love to see what you make with our patterns. Happy Quilting.

Make sure to visit my blog each month where I will share with you some tips and tricks on cutting and assembling of the project of the month along with posting the free pattern on our website The Whimsical Workshop You can also see our pattern and post at www.accuquilt.com
Until next time…..
Heidi 





No comments:

Post a Comment