Sunday, February 12, 2017

Dearest Heart Free Project




Dearest Heart
36” x 36”
Designed by Heidi Pridemore
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. To celebrate the month of love, I designed our little lovely quilt, “Dearest Heart”. It is perfect size for a wall hanging or table topper. So lets celebrate the month of love with sweet projects, acts of kindness and lots of chocolate.
This month’s project is using the GO Mix and Match 6” Qube, GO! 6” Companion Set and Queen of Hearts Die sets. For the collection I wanted something that was soft and pretty without being tradition Valentine’s Day colors. Windham’s Curious Dream collection fit the bill. The group id about Alice from Wonderland and her “curious dream”. The color palate was perfect with soft peaches and teals. As a bonus feature, there were hearts printed on several of the pieces making it a perfect fir for my little quilt.



The pattern for this month’s project is free from The Whimsical Workshop. You can download the free pattern at www.TheWhimsicalWorkshop.com along with our past free patterns. We have also included traditional cutting instructions for this project in the pattern too.



For the pieced block in the quilt, I kept thing simple and used a Monkey’s Wrench Block featuring assorted dies from the GO! Qube 6” Mix and Match dies. I added a touch of white fabric to the quilt as the resting strip and break up the different peach and teal pieces.




For the applique block, I useed a combination of colors and heart sizes from the Queen of Hearts Die to add interest. The layout is centered on the Words Background square. A nice trick for this is to fold the background square into quarters and press. One you open the block, the center lines are pressed in and can be used a placement guide for the hearts.





For the finishing stitch around the hearts, I choose to use a very bright turquoise AuriFil thread that would pop off the block. Sometime thread color can look very intense on the spool. I recommend laying one piece of thread across the block to see how it looks. I tried several softer colored threads but kept coming back to this lovely turquoise. I have to say, I love the way this block came out.




Now putting it all together. For contrast, I used the darkest Teal fabric as the sashing to work as a frame around each lighter colored blocks. I used the peach words fabric for the corner stones to carry the peach color to the outer areas. This creates a nice balance of colors.



If you know me, you will know I love Polka Dots! So for the Outer Border, I made forty-four 3” Drunkard Path blocks and then I created a Polka Dot Border from them. I am thrilled how this came out. I plan on using this design feature again in the future to add interest to the borders.




                                                  
Consider this my Valentine to you. I hope you enjoy making this sweet quilt as much as I do.  I would love to see what you come up with so please send me photos of your projects!
Make sure to visit my blog each month where I will share with you some tips and tricks on cutting and assembling of the project of the month along with posting the free pattern on our website The Whimsical Workshop You can also see our pattern and post at www.accuquilt.com
Until next time…..
Heidi 


No comments:

Post a Comment